MY 2009 TOP 10 LIST AND AWARDS BALLOT

23 Dec

hurt

PLEASE NOTE: Of 2009′s Academy-eligible films and performances, these are my personal favorites. Please note that these do/will have zero impact my objective forecasts, as my desire for something or someone to be rewarded will never exceed my desire to see my projections proven correct.

Best Picture

1. “The Hurt Locker” (Summit, 6/26, trailer)
  2. “Up in the Air” (Paramont, 12/4, trailer)
  3. “A Serious Man” (Focus Features, 10/2, trailer)
  4. “500 Days of Summer” (Fox Searchlight, 7/17, trailer)
  5. “The Road” (The Weinstein Company, 11/25, trailer)
  6. “An Education” (Sony Pictures Classics, 10/9, trailer)
  7. “Adventureland” (Miramax, 4/3, trailer)
  8. “Nine” (The Weinstein Company, 12/18, trailer)
  9. “Big Fan” (First Independent, 8/28, trailer)
  10. “Avatar” (20th Century Fox, 12/18, trailer)

Best Director

1. James Cameron (“Avatar”)
  2. Kathryn Bigelow (“The Hurt Locker”)
  3. Jason Reitman (“Up in the Air”)
  4. Ethan Coen, Joel Coen (“A Serious Man”)
  5. John Hillcoat (“The Road”)

Best Actor

1. Viggo Mortensen (“The Road”)
  2. George Clooney (“Up in the Air”)
  3. Jeff Bridges (“Crazy Heart”)
  4. Nicolas Cage (“Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans”)
  5. Ben Foster (“The Messenger”)

Best Actress

1. Carey Mulligan (“An Education”)
  2. Meryl Streep (“Julie & Julia”)
  3. Zooey Deschanel (“500 Days of Summer”)
  4. Emily Blunt (“The Young Victoria”)
  5. Kristen Stewart (“Adventureland”)

Best Supporting Actor

1. Christoph Waltz (“Inglourious Basterds”)
  2. Woody Harrelson (“The Messenger”)
  3. Alfred Molina (“An Education”)
  4. Peter Sarsgaard (“An Education”)
  5. Zach Galifianakis (“The Hangover”)

Best Supporting Actress

1. Mo’Nique (“Precious”)
  2. Vera Farmiga (“Up in the Air”)
  3. Penelope Cruz (“Nine”)
  4. Anna Kendrick (“Up in the Air”)
  5. Natalie Portman (“Brothers”)

Best Adapted Screenplay

1. Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner (“Up in the Air”)
  2. Joe Penhall (“The Road”)
  3. Nick Hornby (“An Education”)
  4. Anthony Minghella, Michael Tolkin (“Nine”)
  5. Geoffrey Fletcher (“Precious”)

Best Original Screenplay

1. Mark Boal (“The Hurt Locker”)
  2. Ethan Coen, Joel Coen (“A Serious Man”)
  3. Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber (“500 Days of Summer”)
  4. Greg Mottola (“Adventureland”)
  5. Robert D. Siegel (“Big Fan”)

Best Animated Feature

1. “Up” (Disney, 5/29, trailer)
  2. “Mary and Max” (TBD, 9/25, trailer)
  3. “Coraline” (Focus Features, 2/6, trailer)
  4. “The Princess and the Frog” (Disney, 12/11, trailer)
  5. “The Fantastic Mr. Fox” (Fox Searchlight, 11/13, trailer)

Best Documentary Feature

1. “Racing Dreams” (TBD, 7/31, trailer)
  2. “This Is It” (Columbia, 8/28, trailer)
  3. “Valentino: The Last Emperor” (Acolyte, 3/18, trailer)
  4. “Tyson” (Sony Pictures Classics, 4/24, trailer)
  5. “Anvil! The Story of Anvil!” (Abramorama, 8/10, trailer)

Photo: Jeremy Renner in “The Hurt Locker.” Credit: Summit.

21 Responses

1. brooke 23. Dec, 2009 2:12 am #

kristen stewart ♥

2. Sara 23. Dec, 2009 2:58 am #

OMG! kristen stewart has to be nominated!!! she is an amazing talented actress and she deserves that award to prove to all her haters that she can actually act!!! i pray to holy god she gets nominated!! cause for the golden globes she wasnt nominated :( i really hope she gets that honor to possibly even win an academy! she is such a great actress and has that intensity an actor must show on screen!!! please whoever from the academy is reading this!!! please nominate kristen stewart!!!! i love her so much! shes like my favorite actress and she can act and she is amazing!!! Adventureland was such a good cute movie!!!! PLEASE NOMINATE HER!!!! :)

3. Milagros 23. Dec, 2009 3:45 am #

OMG! Krsten Stewart ♥♥♥

4. kharma1 23. Dec, 2009 9:00 am #

I hope Kristen gets nominated but if she doesn’t this time
    around, I’m sure she will many times in her career.
    She has been working nonstop since she was 10? and her
    body of work have all been so different. She has never
    played the cutesy Disney actress and she has been taking
    on challenging roles at such an early age. 2010 will be an
    amazing year for her with The Runaways and WTTR and of
    course Eclipse. She is “Bella” and even though the Twilight
    Series is not considered Oscar material, she has done a
    fantastic job playing that role. Chris Weitz speaks so
    highly of her as an actress as so many of her peers do.
    Scott, I go to your site everyday to see what is going on
    in the movie industry and reading your opinions on
    different movies. Keep up the good work, thank you.
    And Good Luck to Kristen Stewart, she’s fantastic.

5. Benjamin 23. Dec, 2009 9:02 am #

I think you roused the Twi-hards.

6. Stephanie 23. Dec, 2009 11:02 am #

It’s a shame that Viggo seemingly will not even get a nomination. His work in the road was frighteningly real. Brilliant performance.

7. Sarah 23. Dec, 2009 11:51 am #

I have not yet seen The Hurt Locker, but I’ve heard it’s outstanding.
    Also, loved Valentino: The Last Emperor,
    but Anvil is supposed to be awesome too!

So many good movies.

8. Anthony 23. Dec, 2009 1:28 pm #

Is your ballot subject to change, I wonder?

What about foreign?

9. Tina 23. Dec, 2009 1:49 pm #

I am so glad Kristen was nominated. She deserves it. I hope she gets more nominations. She is always overlooked.

10. Editor 23. Dec, 2009 2:21 pm #

karma1, Thanks for your comment. Please note that there is zero chance that Kristen will actually get nominated by the Academy — these are just the people who I would personally vote for this year if I was an Academy member, which I am not :)

11. Editor 23. Dec, 2009 2:22 pm #

Hi Anthony, Absolutely — I plan to add my picks for best foreign language film and the other remaining categories as we get closer to the finish line and I’ve seen all of the films that are the top contenders in those categories, too.

12. Editor 23. Dec, 2009 2:23 pm #

Tina, As I mentioned to kharma1, Kristen wasn’t actually nominated for anything other than a spot on my personal “ballot” — but, hey, that counts for something, does it not?! :)

13. Shelby 23. Dec, 2009 8:24 pm #

kristen all the way!

14. Anthony 24. Dec, 2009 4:44 pm #

Who is Kristen Stewart anyway? Any relation to Jimmy? Always like to see your take, though. You have proven yourself more accurate than anyone.

15. areyouKIDDING? 24. Dec, 2009 4:45 pm #

are you people crazy? Kristen Stewart winning an award? she couldn’t act her way
    out of a wet paper bag!!!!!!!!

16. Editor 24. Dec, 2009 4:46 pm #

Heather, stop watching TWILIGHT and go see ADVENTURELAND. Thanks.

17. Isabelle Rowan 24. Dec, 2009 7:18 pm #

I saw a preview of The Road last weekend (we are a bit slow here in Australia) and I am now disgusted that Viggo Mortensen has been overlooked this awards season. He should be a walk in for the best actor Oscar, but I somehow doubt that will happen.

18. Mrs Mop 24. Dec, 2009 8:14 pm #

Nice of you to use a poster’s private email addy so you can
    direct a sarcastic comment to them by name. You have just
    rendered your own opinion useless by proving you are no
    more than a bitter fanboy. What happened to privacy?

Many of us have watched Speak and The Cake Eaters as well
    as Twilight and we still think Kristen Stewart is an over-
    rated mess.

19. Pam 25. Dec, 2009 10:25 am #

Kristin Stewart can’t act. She’s been playing a brat/slut
    since she was 12. Not much of a stretch for her.
    Adventureland was boring. The Hangover was mysoginistic
    (for all you kids out there, that means woman-hating)
    trite, and just plain moronic. It wasn’t funny. It was
    just a long tirade against “the controlling woman” and
    how she should never expect her partner to grow the hell up,
    stop hanging out in bars with strippers, and be truthful. Or
    God forbid, actually put her first instead of his drinking buddies.

20. Editor 26. Dec, 2009 2:12 am #

Heather (aka “Mrs. Mop”),
    Relax… there are a LOT of people out there with the name Heather, so I highly doubt that a Robsten fan who disagrees with your thoughts about Kristen will be hunting you down anytime soon. Also, with regard to your comment that I am “no more than a bitter fanboy,” did it ever occur to you that YOU must be pretty bitter to take the time to write two lengthy comments bashing Kristen for being nominated for a fictional honor that she did not seek and has no chance of getting in reality?
    Merry Christmas,
    Scott (my real name, too, if it makes you feel any better)

21. Betsy & Bill 27. Dec, 2009 8:01 pm #

We can’t understand the rave about “Up On The Air.” It’s basically a film to exhibit how gorgeous George Clooney is onscreen! The first half hour does sustain our interest, but the romance is flat and that part about the wedding is plain stupid, rushed and delivered as if to lengthen the film. Not our top 10 best films from the many great ones this year. We both love Avatar, Inglorious Basterds, a Serious Man, An Education, (500)Days of Summer, The Road, Juilie and Julia, Invictus and Nine.